The Terms and Conditions detailed here apply to all cyclists participating in Shakespeare’s Scenery Cycle Ride (June 30th, July 1st 2018) which is organised and operated by Warwickshire and Coventry Historic Churches Trust (WCHCT, the Trust, we‚ our‚ or us) or by a Third Party Company commissioned by WCHCT.
- You (the Participant, Cyclist, they, or their) accept that the event you are entering is not a race in any format. You are fully responsible for your actions whilst attending the event. This includes the start and finish of the Event, and during the Event itself.
- WCHCT do not accept responsibility for the actions of any participant, nor the consequences of such actions.
- When booking this event with WCHCT, you accept the booking on the understanding that there are risks and dangers involved in these types of events, including the dangers of on and off-road cycling and any other activities you may get involved with on this event. By registering on this event, you confirm that you understand these risks and participate at your own risk.
- On this Event there will be a crew leader. He/she represents WCHCT and it is recommended that you abide by his/her authority. By completing our registration form, you agree that if your behaviour is causing danger, or distress or annoyance to other members of the group, or if you commit any illegal act, we may terminate your participation without any liabilities on our part.
- Our cyclists on this Event will be made up of a wide range of people over the age of 18 (and children aged between 12 and 18 riding with their parent or guardian) and we cannot guarantee any particular composition of people in terms of age, gender etc.
- We do not have any restrictions for people partaking in our events with regard to disabilities, mobility problems or medical issues. However, before making a booking, it is important that if any particular requirements are needed, we are made aware so that we can discuss suitability and any reasonable adjustments. We may also ask you to be accompanied by someone who is able to provide you with care for any particular needs you may have.
- Our support vehicles and guides carry basic first aid and if anything over and above this is required due to a condition you may have, please discuss this with us before making your booking. We may also need to carry out a risk assessment.
- If you or any member of your party becomes ill with an infectious or contagious illness four weeks or less before your departure, you must tell us immediately. We have the right to: 8.1 Refuse to accept your booking; 8.2 Cancel your participation; or 8.3 We may ask you or the affected member of your group to leave immediately if we feel it may affect the health of others.
- Upon submitting the Event Registration Form or payment of the Registration Fee, you agree that you are physically and mentally capable of riding the distance you have chosen. If during the event, you decide to change the route and distance, then all consequences of this action are your own. Please note too that it is your responsibility to ensure you arrive at the start of the WCHCT event within a reasonable time to commence the start of the Ride.
- The Event Registration Form or Payment of the event Registration Fee must be completed by a person aged 18 years or over. Evidence of age may be requested. Participants between the ages of 12 and 18 years are allowed to participate only with the consent of their parent or legal guardian who must complete the Event Registration Form on behalf of the underage rider. This is also an acceptance for the actions and consequences of the underage rider. Under 18’s need to be accompanied at all times by an adult who is responsible for them.
- It is mandatory that all cyclists wear a safety-approved cycling helmet complying with latest EN1078, ANSI Z90/4 or SNELL standards. Any rider not wearing a helmet will not be permitted to participate. You must accept this as a condition of entry. WCHCT reserve the right to refuse entry to this Event to anyone with inappropriate equipment or clothing.
- You confirm that the cycle/bike you are riding for the event and all of your equipment is of a suitable standard and state of roadworthiness.
- All routes are fully tested and risk assessed before the event begins, however any marked route is shown for guidance only and WHCT do not insist that you use the route shown. Therefore, if you choose to ride a section, it is entirely your own choice. If you choose a different route to avoid obstacles or sections you decide are beyond your capabilities, then you do so entirely at your own risk.
- You must obey all UK Highway Code rules. As a guide, you are requested to ride in single file where appropriate and no more than 2 (two) abreast at any time. Please be aware of your fellow cyclists, other road users, and any other traffic. Please always indicate your intention to stop or change direction. You must adhere to and obey the Highway Code, local bylaws and laws of England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland and extend all reasonable courtesy to other road users.
- WCHCT reserves the right to shorten or alter the published route at any time. In this instance, you do not have the right to claim a refund if the route is shortened or altered.
- You must be considerate to other users of bridleways, cycle lanes, byways and public ways when riding off main road. Upon seeing other users, such as horse riders, walkers, farm traffic, and other cyclists, etc. you are required to slow down and pass with care. Where appropriate, you should stop and wait at the side of the route for other users such as horse riders, etc. to pass safely.
- You will be fully responsible for any fees or costs incurred or arising from an accident either involving or caused by your actions. This includes, but is not exclusive to, fees from Police, Air Ambulance, Fire and Rescue and the Ambulance service. If the situation arises that you are not capable of making the decision to call the emergency services, you agree that a of WCHCT Trustee or Officer or Third Parties contracted to the Event, or a member of the public may call on your behalf. In this situation, you still accept the costs and consequences of such actions.
- If you have given us ticked consent on the Registration Form under Data Protection for use of Photographs, you consent to us using any photographs/film/video tapes/electronic representations and/or sound recordings taken of you on any of our events without charge in all media at any point in time; for example, but not restricted to, for use on our website, social media, brochures and videos. You are hereby authorising the reproduction, sale, copyright, exhibit, broadcast, electronic storage and/or distribution of said photographs/film/video tapes/electronic representations and/or sound recordings without limitation at the discretion WCHCT. You are specifically waiving any right to any compensation you may have for appearing in any of the photographs/film/video/electronic representations and/or sound recordings of you at WCHCT.
- In the event that you fail to complete the course for any reason, you agree to return to or call Event control (on the phone number that will be given to you at the start of the Ride) before the close of the event and report to a member of staff. Not doing so will mean that a search may be organised and you may be liable for any subsequent cost.
- You are expected not to drop or leave any litter on any part of the route and to dispose of it responsibly at an appropriate place or bin. If you are found littering will be asked to leave this event.
- You are expected to respect the roads, villages and countryside that the events travel through. It should be remembered that this is both a working landscape and home to many communities. If you stop for a comfort break you are asked to do so discretely and appropriately and not to cause any offence to local residents or other riders.
22.1 If you wish to use an e-bike at one of our events, you are welcome to do so provided the e-bike is fully compliant with UK law, e.g. no “chipped” or overpowered e-bikes which are considered illegal in the UK.
23.1 Flat e-bike batteries mid-ride are not genuine event mechanical issues, rather the predictable outcome of poor planning. As organisers, we are duty bound to prioritise our resources to deal with genuine first-aid and genuine mechanical issues. If you have a flat e-bike battery, you are requested to make your own way to the nearest event Water Station. It should be noted that the organisers may have to wait until the event is finished and/or there are spare resources to facilitate a pick up from these locations. It is therefore suggested that e-bike cyclists are 1) familiar with their bikes battery range, and 2) either carry a charged spare battery with you or stash a spare battery at a suitable point on the route in advance.
23.2. E-bike cyclists agree to ride legally, appropriately and considerately at all times.
- Booking this Event
24.1 Prior to making a booking please read the information regarding this Event on the ‘Shakespeare’s Scenery” page on our website and the Terms & Conditions on this page. If you have any questions please contact us to clarify any matters by emailing email@example.com. It is advised that you print these Terms and Conditions and retain a copy for your personal records.
24.3. The remainder of the event cost, i.e. the Event Fee, must be paid no later than 17th May 2018. We will notify you 2 weeks before this deadline for the remainder of the cost. If you book after 17th May 2018 we require full payment (i.e both the Registration Fee and the Event Fee) to be made on booking. If the balance is not paid in time we reserve the right to cancel your participation in the event and will apply the cancellation charges outlined below.
- Non-Refundable Registration Fee
Your registration fee (as stated on our website for Shakespeare’s Scenery Ride) is a non-refundable fee covering the administrative, planning, booking and research costs associated with delivering your event that we incur prior to and in processing your booking.
- Cancellation by you
26.1. If you wish to cancel your event, the lead person on the registration form (and to whom the confirmation email has been sent) must notify us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be liable for the following cancellation charges:
26.1.1. If you cancel your participation in this event before 17th May 2018, any balance you have paid at this point over and above your registration fee will be refunded. Your registration fee will not be refunded as per Section 25: Non-Refundable Registration Fee.
26.1.2. If you cancel your participation in this event after 17th May 2018 any balance you have paid at this point over and above your registration fee will not be refunded. Your registration fee will also not be refunded as per Section 25: Non-Refundable Registration Fee.
- Cancellation and changes to your event by WCHCT.
27.1 We may cancel or make changes to your event due to (but not limited to) the following circumstances:
27.1.1. The minimum number of people needed to operate one of our events has not been met. We will advise you of this no later than 18th May 2018 and your Registration Fee and Event fee will be refunded.
27.1.2. Where circumstances beyond our reasonable control arise – for example, threatened or actual war, civil or political unrest, riots, terrorist activity, natural or nuclear disaster, adverse weather conditions, disease, fire or technical problems arise with transport – we will endeavour to reschedule the event but we will not be able to refund either the Registration Fee or Event Fee if you are unable to participate on the revised date. (If you are unable to participate on the revised date, please check the conditions on your insurance cover or payment credit card as you may be able to make a claim through your insurance company or card provider). We will not offer any refunds with respect to insurance premiums you may have taken out with any third parties.
28. Transfers to another person
28.1. If you wish to transfer the event onto another person, you must notify us at least 2 weeks before the event.
28.2. Transfers will only be granted where possible and subject to the other person satisfying the conditions applicable to the event and a £30 payment to WCHCT to cover administrative costs.
28.3. Both persons must accept joint and several liabilities for the full payment of the event price including any charges and additional costs we incur for confirming the transfer.
29. Insurance policies
29.1. We recommend that you purchase insurance specifically designed to cover this specific event. Any claims associated with matters for which you are insured must be directed to your insurers.
30. Our prices
30.1.There is no VAT included in our prices.
- WCHCT liability to you
31.1. If personal injury, death or damage to your property occurs due to our negligence or fault, there is nothing in these terms that seek to limit or exclude our liability.
31.2. Except for those areas for which we do not seek to exclude liability, our total liability to you is limited to twice the basic event price per person as shown on your booking confirmation and invoice.
31.3. WCHCT will not be liable for any losses that you suffer as a result of any breach of our agreement except those losses which are reasonably foreseeable to both of us at the time we enter into the contract with you.
Other than this liability which we have accepted,
31.4. We shall not be held liable for any damages caused by the total or partial failure to provide your event if such failure is:
31.4.1. Attributable to you; or
31.4.2. Unforeseeable or unavoidable and attributable to a third party unconnected with us or any of our sub-contractors; or
31.4.3. As a result of unusual and unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control including but not limited to strikes, threatened or actual war, civil or political unrest, government action, riots, terrorist activity, natural or nuclear disaster, adverse weather conditions disease or fire; or
31.4.4. Due to the theft of bicycles or injury as a result of cycling either on or off road and in particular injuries that are sustained as a result of either inadequately maintained and serviced personal equipment or failure to wear the correct safety equipment most notably cycle helmets, unless demonstrably due to our negligence.
32.1. Any complaints you may have during the Event should be made directly to the crew leader. He/she will then take appropriate action. If, at the end of this Event, you feel that your complaint was not dealt with to your satisfaction, you must write to us or email us within 28 days of the end date of the event and we will take the matter further.
33. Your safety and belongings
33.1. Please note that bicycles are particularly vulnerable to theft, and your belongings (including items that you have hired or otherwise) are your own responsibility.
33.2. We do not allow the following items on our events: shotguns, knives, firearms, air weapons, archery equipment, fireworks or illegal substances.
34.1. We have negotiated a special rate at a hotel for this event (Stoneleigh Park Lodge). By booking, you agree to abide by the provider’s own terms and conditions for which they accept guests.
35 Compensation payable by you
35.1. By making a booking with WCHCT you agree that we have the right either during, or after your event, to recover from you the costs of:
35.1.1. Any compensation we may pay to others, including others on the Ride, resulting from your acts or omissions; and/or
35.1.2. Any damage you have made to property, equipment or accommodation any property
35.2. Any other charges, fees or levies we may incur resulting from your action or inaction and from any breach of these conditions.
36. General conditions
36.1. These terms and conditions may only be waived by one of our Trustees in writing.
36.2. These booking conditions are governed by English law and both you and we agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
36.3. We may transfer and / or assign its rights and / or its obligations under these terms and conditions. This will not affect your rights under this contract. You may not transfer any of your rights or obligations under these terms and conditions without our prior written consent, which we may not unreasonably withheld.
36.4. You are responsible for the supervision and welfare of all members of your party between the ages of 12 and 18.
36.5. If either you or we breach this contract and the party not in breach ignores this, the party not in breach will still be entitled to use its rights and remedies at a later date.
36.6. If any part of these terms and conditions is unenforceable (including any provision in which our liability to you is excluded) the enforceability of any other part of these Terms and Conditions will not be affected.
38.7. A person who is not a party to this contract has no right under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 to enforce any term of this contract, but this does not affect any right or remedy of a third party that exists or is available apart from that Act.
Warwickshire and Coventry Historic Churches Trust
Registered in England and Wales, charity number 508352
Registered Charity Address:
344 Broad Lane
Coventry CV57 7AT
Chapeau Events Ltd (3rd Party Organisers for Shakespeare’s Scenery Cycle Ride)
Company Reg. No: 09441935
18 East Moor, Worsley,
Telephone: 07541 421381 or 07852 716766
Directors: David Wright, Michelle Carrison, Ian Wright, David McAllister