St Peter ad Vincula Church, Hampton Lucy
St Peter is a large church with the scale of a cathedral scale but is situated in a small village. This is explained by it the fact that its construction in the 1820s was paid for by the Lucy family, of nearby Charlecote Park. One of the family was rector at the church for nearly 60 years.
The church was build on the site of a medieval church that was demolished in 1826. Its architects were Thomas Rickman and Henry Hutchinson. Thirty years later, Sir George Gilbert Scott – one of the greatest Victorian architects – added a chancel that completed the Gothic effect.
The only ancient medieval feature preserved is two squares, each of four inlaid 11.5 cm tiles, probably of the 14th century, in the south aisle of the present church.
The East window shows the life of St Peter and was restored after an American aircraft crashed nearby in the Second World War.